Thursday, September 17, 2009

Freedoms???

A comment that was left on an old blog yesterday and a recent news story that has made some recent headlines has awaken a very important topic that I want to point out to people. Everyone always talks about how it is America where we have the freedom to protest, speak, free religion, etc. But I do not understand where the bases of that argument comes from. I believe it is great that in America we allow freedom of religion and speech and press, etc. But there is nothing in the Constitution that gives us those freedoms. Everyone says "Yes there is!! it is called the Bill of Rights!" Where in the Bill of Rights does it say that you have the freedom to do this or that?? You will not find it.

What you will find is that Congress shall make no law restricting... The Constitution limits government and what the FEDERAL government can or cannot do. The Federal government cannot throw you into jail for disagreeing with its government. But that does not mean you can stand up in school and rant about the evils of whatever and think that you have the "right" to do that and should not be stopped. That would be ridiculous to think that you can disrupt anything at anytime. Two boys were asked to leave a Minor League baseball game recently because they refused to stand up during "God Bless America". I don't care what race these boys were or if they were girls or of a different religion. They had the right to do that. They have the right to sit down and not stand up during the pledge of allegiance or anything else. But the Minor League baseball club as a private organization also has the right to force them to leave the stadium and never come back.

When we think of rights we always think of the individual or this "I" idea. But businesses have rights too. They are not granted in the Constitution but endowed by our Creator. CEO's might be overpaid at some industries but that corporation has the right to pay their CEO whatever they want. You, nor I, nor Uncle Sam should be allowed to do anything about it.

So please stop calling into radio shows about how America is great because we have the freedom of expression blah blah blah blah blah.... Tell me something I don't know... America is also great because a private business owner has just as many rights to throw you out of his stadium for disrespecting our country and can pay their employees whatever he or she wants. Then you can tell that employer to shove it where the sun does not shine and not work there if you would like as well. That my friends is what makes America so great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, this is keny keller. I got a question for you. How come that wen we sa the Plange og Allegance some people d not stand? and are asked to leave such games for? on october 16th a Sequoyah I will be on the Homecoming court. Hope to see you there. 7:30

Jess said...

Hey kenny I had no plans of watching anymore Sequoyah games but if your on homecoming court I might just have to.

There is no one answer to your question kenny. People do not stand for many reasons. One, they are young and do not know better and today in our politically correct society they are not forced to stand because our leaders do not force them too. When I was young I was forced to do things and if I asked why?, the answer I got was "because I said so!" Today many in our society believes we should not do that.

Another reason is that any mention of God people are not forced to stand in alegiance. And our pledge has mentioned God since the 1950's I believe it is... "... One Nation Under God..."

Lastly some people do it as protest of our country when they disagree with it. In the old days there was more pride in our country than today. Thus people forced them to respect. A couple decades ago that story about the two kids not standing during the pledge would not have been news even.

I also hear the two kids were Muslim and people are very sensative towards the treatment of Muslims in our society because of the current struggles in the Middle East.

If I don't get to see you in Oct.. Good Luck man!

Jess said...

Kenny I don't think I'm going to make it to homecoming but I might just.. If I don't I will try to go to your last game against Sweetwater. I will see.. Just don't kill me when or if you see me you need to be gentle.