Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Learning on the job something I already believed...

I have had the impression that if you teach kids and expect a lot and quite frankly demand a lot, you will get a lot out of the kids as long as you explain why you expect a lot. Today's education "experts" would disagree with that notion and thus one education "expert" at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga told me to find a new hobby and give up being a teacher. I told her off and told her I disagree with the liberal mindset of teaching and we'll see how I do. Now I lost my first teaching job but the reports were that my kids liked me and well they scored higher on the standardized test than the other social studies teachers at my school and to be honest... I thought a lot of my social studies department there. So I am proud of that. I lost my job because I was tough on basketball kids most people believe. I said I would not change my mentality although I will continue to try and improve my coaching methods.

And now I have a bunch of middle school basketball players. They have not won a game in over a year and only won one or two a couple years before and have not won more than one or two for a few years now. We still have not won a game (of course we have only played three legit games). But I came down hard on these guys. I demand a lot. Throughout practice I just send the guys running all the time because they are not being productive at that time. I'm not punishing them I'm "disciplining" them. And our practices are physical now. I yell a lot. I encourage too but there is not a lot of that going on because we have not been executing what I want. But our boys are practicing and playing hard. I asked them today if they have liked recent practices because I have picked it up a notch and have gotten that much tougher. They said yes we love it.

Don't tell me today's kids are different. Don't tell me you have to be soft on these kids and can't expect a lot. That is insulting to them and I have told them that. In fact I tell them the more I yell at them the more they should feel flattered. Because that means I expect a lot from them... And lately and I believe in the future... I will be getting a lot..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, Don't feel bad Dale Earnhardt jr. is still learning on how to drive in Nascar. I thank that you did a Great job coaching basketball last year. even thou I was not on the team. I thank you were the best coach that Seqouayah ever had.

Jess said...

Thank you Kenny. I don't feel bad about Dale I don't watch Nascar! But Perry Hull is better than I. Thanks anyways