Saturday, October 17, 2009

Encouragement... I think from God

Last night I went to Sequoyah High School to watch a football game in which Sequoyah was having homecoming. I was asked to go in fact here on this blog by a former student of mine... Kenny. Kenny won Homecoming King and was so excited and I too for him. I love that kid I really do. Kenny is a very hyper kid who sometimes loses control of his emotions but inside he is precious and so are many of his friends who allow him to enjoy life about as much as anyone you will ever meet. It was truly a great night for him but more so for me.

Sequoyah is the school I worked at last year that chose not to rehire me for unknown reasons. In truth I got fired but in the teaching profession they only call it "firing" if your are forced out during the school year or after you have been teaching into your fourth year. So lets call it what it was... I was fired!

During the day Friday I took something to the principal there to give my former basketball boss. When I walked into his office the Associate Principal was there and she stood up and gave me a hug. I left and walked into the guidance office to visit someone and one of the guidance counselors stood up and gave me a big hug and talked to me about what I had been up to. She said they had missed me. I went to the game that night but before getting to it went into one of the secretary's houses who's son is a friend of mine... she too gave me a hug. When going to the game I had two parents come up to me and tell me how mad they were about me not being brought back and how they thought I did a good job and I'm better for it not being there. I had students and other parents come up and hug me and tell me they miss me. Some of the students, students who are not the "cool loving" students meaning students who are in school for the main reason of getting an educating and advancing their lives and liking teacher who teach them and are not just nice, funny, cool or whatever came up and said they really missed my class and now that they have new teachers talk about how my class truly was a great class. Two fellow teachers who might have not come to the game due to weather and hunting came I believe in large part to visit and see me because they knew I was going to be there. I know for sure one went for that reason.

This weekend was a weekend of great encouragement. It reminded me of why I still go back there and visit from time to time despite not being rehired by the central office. It reminds me of why I went into teaching. For the students and teachers who are around me. You don't teach mainly for money and I don't work for the central office people making the decisions without the best intentions all the time. I work for students and good parents who care about their kids. I love those people I really do. I miss them and wish I was still there. But things happen for a reason and I love where I am. Although I'm not a full time teacher I still like it and I love being a head coach and I like the people I'm working with and for. I have had a really tough few months and I am not back to where I was before I lost my job. But I'm well on my way. It was only a few weeks ago that I was afraid I would not be back on my way for a long time maybe years and to be honest the end of my worries were no where in sight. But God works in funny ways. And the great thing is I did not even deserve it. I really don't. I'm not in the best place in my life now and need a lot of work spiritually with my faith being weakened and in many other ways. But this was one giant step forward.

Thank you Sequoyah and thank you God.

-Jess

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, This is Kenny I really do want to Thank you from the Deph of my Heart for coming to see me. I really do miss you at SQHS and which you were there. I will still rember the good time we had in U.S. History. which are memorys now. Thankyou and God bless you.

mghghvj said...

Hey Coach, (yeah im still gona call you coach) just wanted to let you know were mising you at SqHS. We got Monhollen this year and he doesnt measure up. (pun INTENDED haha) We start November 23 this year and lets just say itll be different.. But hope you having fun and doing well at your new school.

God Bless,
Adam Collins

P.S. Greater is He who is in me, than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4) Dont worry about everybody else, GOD'S BIGGER! haha

Jess said...

thanks Adam but give your new coach some time... He'll be fine.. believe in him and keep your opinions like that to yourself... at least until your high school career is over... I do appreciate it though...I'll be by to see your team... who knows.. maybe Coach K will give me a call and have me pitch to you all some day when your heads are getting too big when you dominate some this year... I'll bring you back down to ground... lol.. good luck I'll be seeing you guys during basketball season sometime

Brad said...

Good Deal