Saturday, October 10, 2009

Rush Limbaugh

I have never written about Rush Limbaugh in any of my blogs and I don't ever remember even mentioning him in a blog. Recently Rush has teamed up with another very rich man to buy the St. Louis Rams football team. Rush grew up I believe in Kansas City where he also got his start as a radio personality. Rush Limbaugh is the most listened to radio host in the history of radio. He has between 15-20 million listeners each week which is incredible. I am not going to talk much about my personal like of Rush Limbaugh. Most who read this know me and know where I stand on him. But I also love Pardon the Interruption on ESPN but recently Michael Wilbon has really disturbed me with what I consider a reconsideration of an opinion when one NFL player of the NY Giants came out against Rush Limbaugh. Originally Wilbon was seemed excited about the prospects of Rush and even said that most of his opinions are probably shared by other owners. Then after this player spoke up the very next day his tone changed and he seemed as if he hated Rush.

I would like to first hear from that player of the Giants how many times he has actually listened to Rush Limbaugh. I don't mean hear a 20 second clip that is shown on MSNBC or some TV talk show or overhear some other players talk about him. How many times has he actually sat down and listened to Rush on radio? I doubt very much maybe never. How does he know what Rush Limbaugh thinks about him or other Black people. I have never heard Rush say anything that should be offensive to all Black people in the nation. He has said some things about certain cultures of certain Black communities but he has also said things about White cultures in different places, and about different races around the world. Walter Williams fills in and hosts his radio show sometimes when Rush is out and unable to do so. Walter Williams is a Black college professor at George Mason University. If Rush was racist or a "bigot" as Wilbon said would a Black person fill in for him? I doubt it unless that person hated himself and his race.

It is unfortunate that ONLY Liberals are those who are considered so pro-Black or African American in this country. Rush Limbaugh denounces policies that have destroyed many families including many Black families because many government policies were designed to help inner-city families mostly Black families. Read my past blog entries on Rent Control and you will see where well intended policies passed by politicians that Michael Wilbon would never call a bigot and would probably like, have in fact destroyed many black families by in forcing them to move due to a lack of low cost housing being developed. It is unfortunate that on many college campuses well qualified Black Students are looked down upon because of the stereotype that is in place due to government laws such as Affirmative Action that allows many unqualified people (in many cases minorities) to go to colleges they would not be able to get into without the law. Then almost all Black students are effected despite many being just as qualified or even more qualified than the White student looking down upon them.

If Rush had his way many of these unfortunate stories would not exist. Taxes would be much lower and more low income people would have jobs. I hate it when people redicule someone even though they have never actually listened to the man talk. And I guarantee you that if you were on the air 15 hours a week for over 20 years... you would have at one point accidentally said something that might not sound polite and worse yet... you might not actually believe. But should you be hated for the rest of your life for it?

No comments: